March 8th Demonstration
I’m writing to you on behalf of a coalition of congregations in the Northern Colorado faith community who believe that the love of God is not reserved solely for those in heterosexual relationships, but for all people regardless of their sexuality. This letter is to invite you to join us in responding as a unified front of faith communities to our LGBTQ neighbors. We want to make it abundantly clear to them that they are loved, no strings attached.
Associate Minister Sean Neil-Barron, one of our colleagues at Foothills Unitarian Church brought to our awareness an event in town which we felt was counter to the message of many of our faith-communities. Instead of protesting the event directly, we feel compelled to make a statement to our surrounding LGBTQ community, promoting our love for them and our belief that God loves them. In that respect we invite you into a dispersed show of unity across Northern Colorado at your local congregations on March 8th from 11AM-1PM. It is our hope that you will commit to having some of your community outside during that time holding signs that are seen by those who drive down your street. To participate please do the following:
- Let us know the name of your faith community that will be participating so we can appropriately share this information.
- We ask for you to organize your own community and during this time bring as many people as possible onto the sides of your local street holding signs affirming our love for this community. The time period for the unified event is from 11AM-1PM.
- A suggestion would be to create 30 minute shifts and invite all to be out there to join in when they can.
- Create common signs (4-5 of these to have a show of Unity)
- Repression is not the Answer.
- LGBTQ – We love you just the way God created you!
- No Conditions – No Exceptions
- Love Wins
- God’s Love is fully inclusive
- Bad Theology Kills
- Here is a link to a folder of artwork and signs that are ready to use. Print out the sign on 11×17 paper, attach to a foam or other board, and you’re ready to go! https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NJRKfW99iwNm5r5RjSjrrazqEfnD64HP?usp=sharing
- Other signs are fine but we ask that we keep our focus directed at the group we are lifting up, and not directing our energy towards the Anti-LGBTQ event.
- Please keep your presence out near the streets for that time period and at some point take a photo and send it to this email so that we can share it again in a post-event press release.
- Please let us know of your planned participation by Wednesday March 4th
We hope you will join us as we plan to alert local media.
Blessings and Peace,
Pastor Michael Stadtmueller (And many of your colleagues I’m just the letter writer)
This page has links to the event that we are countering, but in terms of our unified efforts we hope that you will honor our effort to affirm the LGBTQ community over and above protesting these other faith communities.
Links to the event that raised our concerns.
- Northern Colorado: An Introduction to the LGBT+ Conversation
- Northern Colorado: One Day Leaders Forum
A Statement of Marriage, Sexuality & Gender from Center for Faith, Sexuality, and Gender as listed in their materials
- According to God’s design and intent, sex difference (male and female) is an intrinsic part of what marriage is.
- While same-sex marriage is legal in some countries, it does not represent a historical, Christian view of marriage.
- All sex outside of marriage is sin.
- The Fall has corrupted God’s original intent for human sexuality in all persons; therefore, all people—straight or non-straight—experience corruption in their sexuality.
- Simply experiencing attraction to the same sex (or being gay) is not in itself a morally culpable sin.
- God desires all males and females to express their gender in accordance with their biological sex.
- All forms of abuse, slander, dehumanization, or oppression toward fellow humans is an affront against God’s sacred image, which has been stamped upon all people.